Aung Zin Phyo Thein
Aung Zin provides in-depth research, analysis and strategic advice for clients in Myanmar. His abilities span the nexus between traditional stakeholder engagement and digital solutions to pinpoint and track the sentiments that influence policymaking. He is particularly adept at utilizing modern technology to support clients with crisis and reputation management.
Aung Zin joined BGA after serving as a practice lead at ERA Myanmar, the country’s largest communications firm. By understanding the unique challenges companies face in an emerging market, he helped the firm’s clients manage reputational crises and offered advisory services on strategic communications.
Aung Zin brings a strong research background to his work. From 2015-20, he served as an ad hoc research assistant for the Myanmar Institute of Strategic and International Studies under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He worked as an editorial and public affairs associate at the ASEAN Economic Forum and Institute for the Future Economy, in addition to serving as a contributing author to the Market Mogul online publication. His work in 2020 as a nonresident nonproliferation fellow at the Hawaii-based Pacific Forum think tank focused on regulating Chinese private military security companies along the Belt and Road Initiative in Southeast Asia.
Aung Zin is a graduate in international relations from Durham University in the United Kingdom and has undertaken graduate studies in public policy at the University of Nottingham. He has been active in youth exchange and mentorship programs, often taking the lead to create new initiatives and manage teams.
Prior Professional Experience
- Nonresident Nonproliferation Fellow, Pacific Forum (2020)
- Senior Executive, ERA Myanmar (2019- 2020)
- Ad Hoc Research Associate, Myanmar Institute of Strategic and International Studies (MISIS)- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2015- 2020)
Areas of Expertise
- Government Affairs
- Public Relations
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Government Affairs
- Public Affairs
- Research & Development
- University of Nottingham (2018- 2019)— Graduate Studies in Public Policy
- Durham University (2014- 2017)— Undergraduate Studies in International Relations
- Singapore Management University- Institute for Societal Leadership (2016)— Southeast Asian Undergraduate Leaders’ Programme
Selected Publications and Presentations
- "Perspectives: Myanmar Needs a Strong ASEAN to Fight Coronavirus" - Asialink, 20 May 2020
- "The Belt and Road Initiative in Myanmar: staring down the dragon" - Frontier Myanmar, 2 August 2019
- "Solution to the Myitsone Deadlock: A Referendum?" - The Irrawaddy, 2 February 2019
Insights & News
Continuity, Stability and Security Under Xi Are Key Themes for 2023 “Two Sessions”
Chinese Communist Party (CCP) General Secretary Xi Jinping addresses journalists at the Great Hall of …
Korean President Yoon’s Foreign Visits Could Mark Turning Point for Korea’s Diplomatic Relations
The BGA Korea Team, led by Managing Director B.J. Kim, wrote an update for clients …
AUKUS Announcement Shifts Australia’s Strategic, Industrial and Workforce Dial
The BGA Australia Team, led by Managing Director Michael “Mick” McNeill, wrote an update for …