Prashanth supports the development of research and strategic communications designed to help BGA clients achieve their objectives across the Asia-Pacific.
A political scientist by training, Prashanth is a recognized expert on Asian affairs and U.S. foreign policy in the region, with a focus on Southeast Asia and politics and security issues. He has conducted grant-based field research across the region, consulted for companies and governments, and taught courses affiliated with the U.S. Department of Defense and the U.S. Department of State. His policy insights, research and commentary have been published widely in the United States and across the region in leading publications and journals including CNN, The Washington Post, The South China Morning Post, The Straits Times, Asia Policy and Contemporary Southeast Asia.
Prashanth has held roles across think tanks, government, media and business in the United States and in the region, including most recently The Wilson Center, the Foreign Service Institute and The Diplomat. In those capacities, he advanced research and analysis on key Asian political and security trends using rigorous research methodologies and extensive in-country networks, with an emphasis on Southeast Asia.
Prashanth holds a Ph.D. and a Master of Arts from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University focused on international security, international business and U.S. foreign policy. He received a bachelor’s degree from the University of Virginia where he studied foreign affairs and peace and conflict studies and graduated Phi Beta Kappa. Prashanth grew up in Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore. He speaks Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Malaysia as well as elementary Tamil, Tagalog and Spanish.
Prior Professional Experience
- Vice President, Akar Asia (Oct 2016-Mar 2020)
- Senior Editor, The Diplomat Magazine (Nov 2014-Apr 2020)
- Researcher, Center for Strategic and International Studies (May 2012-Aug 2012)
- Research Assistant, The Project 2049 Institute (Aug 2009-Aug 2010)
Areas of Expertise
- Northeast Asia
- South Asia
- Public Relations
- Think Tank
- Research & Development
- The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University (2012-2019)— Doctor of Philosophy, Security Studies and International Business
- The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University (2010-2012)— Master of Arts, Security Studies and International Business
- University of Virginia (2005-2009)— Bachelor of Arts, Foreign Affairs and Peace and Conflict Studies
Selected Publications and Presentations
- "Asia Policy: Assessing Indonesian Maritime Strategy" - The National Bureau of Asian Research, 29 July 2020
- "What would the US’ Asia policy look like under a Joe Biden administration?" - Today, 30 April 2020
- "The Challenge of Grading Asia on COVID-19" - The Diplomat, 12 May 2020
- "Managing the Rise of China’s Security Partnerships in Southeast Asia" - Asia Program Publications, July 2019
The BGA Taiwan Team led by Senior Advisor Rupert Hammond-Chambers, wrote an update to clients …
The BGA Fiji Team led by Senior Advisor Amb. Ian Kemish, wrote an update to …
The BGA Australia Team led by Managing Director Fergus Hanson, wrote an update to clients …