Tiffany manages BGA’s client relationships and engagements. She directs analysis and activities designed to advise Fortune 500 companies on public policy issues, regional geopolitics and stakeholder management.
Tiffany is an expert on Asia-Pacific security issues. She regularly writes and speaks on China-Taiwan relations, U.S.-China relations and Asia-Pacific maritime security. Her research and analysis has been incorporated into regular briefings with decision-makers, including at the U.S. Department of Defense, the U.S. Department of State and with staff and members of Congress. She has been featured in both U.S. and international media outlets, including Agence France-Presse, Voice of America, Christian Science Monitor and Liberty Times.
Prior to joining BGA, Tiffany was the senior director for political and security affairs at NBR in Washington, D.C., where she led major initiatives on geopolitical and international security affairs in the Asia-Pacific that regularly convened senior government officials and specialists from across the region. She began her career as a research associate at the Project 2049 Institute, an Asia security think tank based in Arlington, Virginia, and has also worked at the International Crisis Group in Beijing, the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington and the Lowy Institute in Sydney.
Tiffany holds a master’s degree in public policy from the Harvard Kennedy School, where she was also a public service fellow and a Belfer student fellow. She holds bachelor’s degrees in international relations and psychology from the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia. She reads and speaks Mandarin Chinese.
Prior Professional Experience
- Senior Director of Political and Security Affairs, National Bureau of Asian Research (Jul 2013-Feb 2018)
- Research Associate, Project 2049 Institute (Feb 2009-Jul 2011)
Areas of Expertise
- Northeast Asia
- Government Affairs
- Not for Profit
- Think Tank
- Government Affairs
- Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University (2011-2013)— Masters in Public Policy
- University of New South Wales (2004-2008)— Bachelor of Arts and Science in International Relations and Psychology
- Nonresident Fellow, National Bureau of Asian Research
Selected Publications and Presentations
- "Securing the China Dream: The PLA’s Role in a Time of Reform and Change" - The National Bureau of Asian Research, 14 November 2020
- "The Taiwan Relations Act at 40" - The Diplomat, 1 April 2019
- "Policy Roundtable: Are the United States and China in a New Cold War?" - from "A New Era of Major Power Competition, Not a New Cold War" - Texas National Security Review, 15 May 2018
- "Reinforcing the U.S.-Taiwan Relationship" - Testimony before the House Foreign Affairs Committee Subcommittee on Asia and the Pacific - Foreign Affairs Committee, 17 April 2018
Insights & News From Tiffany Ma
What the New US Bioeconomy Initiative Means for the Health Sector￼
The BGA Health Team led by Senior Director Tiffany Ma, wrote an update to clients …
2022 Indo-Pacific Health Calendar Kicks Off Amid Covid-19 Uncertainty
BGA’s Health Care Team, led by Senior Director Tiffany Ma, released the January iteration ofthe company’s …
Timor-Leste Opposition’s Election Win Heralds Political Stability
The BGA Timor-Leste Team, led by Senior Adviser Amb. Ian Kemish, recently wrote an update on …